Expert Review: Meograph

• What can you do with this tool? What kinds of stories is it good for
  • How do you get started using it? Link to tutorials or help docs or Lynda.com resources that are useful for learning this tool.

Meograph ideally is a great tool to create digital stories, evolved. Although, it isn’t as flexible as it appears to be. I followed several YouTube tutorials that detailed how to use Meograph, though I feel it was creatively limited. This site could potentially be beneficial for multimedia stories.

Meograph is like an advanced slide show. It allows you to add moments, which are slides, photos or videos to develop your multimedia story. One cool too used within Meograph is a map that creates 4D (dimensional) story telling. You could also add links to create an interactive piece.

Adding Moments

• How easy or hard is it? What skills do you need to become proficient in it?

Over all, Meograph wasn’t too hard to work, so the skills needed to become proficient are very basic. The site itself doesn’t allow you to expand those skills sets to be used as a powerful tool (in my opinion). And if you’d want to use your own video it has to be uploaded through your own YouTube channel, which I feel is just another unnecessary step.

• Would you recommend this to a friend? Will you consider using it for your final data story?

I’d recommend Meograph to a friend as a quick and easy tool, but to use it for an official website or along with a well-developed story I think other programs can provide a better quality multimedia/digital story.

I may consider using it for my final project, but I’m not sure that I will. It will be interesting to see what other programs the class has to offer.

Be the first to comment